Tips to improve memory
- Boost your confidence
- Be confident and convince yourself that you do have good memory that will improve.
- Commit yourself to the task in your achievements. Keep motivated yourself every time you make a little bit of progress
- Brain exercises or neurobic exercises
- Neurobic exercises are the aerobic exercises for brain to develop new mental skills and to develop new nerve connections.
- Making multisensory association, and doing something that is novel that is important. Involve one more senses in a novel context.
- Ex: brushing teeth with non dominant hand, get dressed for work; take a shower with eyes closed. Listening to a specific music while smelling a particular aroma
- Daily regular exercise
- Aerobic exercises like brisk walking, swimming, and jogging will help to improve the memory.
- At the time of exercise certain hormone like substance called endorphins are released this will elevate the mood and reduces stress and tension.
- Blood (oxygen) circulation to brain improves at the time of exercise.
- Enhances the effects of helpful brain chemicals and protect brain cells
- Healthy habits to improve memory
- Regular Aerobic exercise- Blood (oxygen) circulation to brain improves at the time of exercise. Enhances the effects of helpful brain chemicals and protect brain cells
- Good sleep habits- Sleep is necessary for memory consolidation
- Quit smoking- increases the risk of vascular disorders like stroke, which decreases the blood supply to brain
- Nutrition and memory improvement
- Nutrients rich in B Vitamins - B12, B6, and folic acid- protect the neurons from toxic products.
- Omega 3 fatty acids (white fishes like halibut, mackerel, herring, and sardine) are good sources of omega 3 fatty acids.
- Mnemonic devices to improve memory
- Visual images- Use positive and pleasant images, because the brain often blocks out unpleasant ones. Make the images colorful, vivid and three dimensional.
- Using first letter of each word or acronyms to remember the words